Our monthly series of free game development tutorials continues with an introductory lesson in Construct 2, a popular and easy to use game creation tool that allows you to build projects using an intuitive visual interface.
This will be a hands-on exercise, so please come prepared by bringing in your laptop with Construct 2 installed. We’ll be using the free version of Construct 2, which you can obtain here.
We’ll be making a simple, 2D overhead perspective game that will cover the following topics:
- Importing sprite assets and placing them in a scene layout
- Configuring backgrounds, layers, and camera behavior
- Supporting player input via simple keyboard and mouse controls
- Using built-in behaviors to instantly add common functionality
- Programming game logic using the event system
- Spawning new objects dynamically
- Editing sprites
- Performing basic collision detection and response
- Declaring and using global and instance variables
- Creating UI / HUD overlays
- Importing and playing sound effects and music
Edit: The slides from the tutorial are now available via the link below.
As usual, please RSVP on either the Facebook event or the Meetup below: